Personal Support Workers (PSW’s) are heroes of the healthcare system. PSW’s are people who care for those who are ill, elderly or need help with daily tasks. Their job is to ensure that their patients are comfortable, safe, receiving the care they need, and also responsible for the emotional and physical well-being of their patient.
A PSW can work in various situations, in some cases within the family’s home or in a long-term care facility. The daily duties and responsibilities can range from minor tasks or errands to more serious care. Some of these include:
- Lifting and transferring clients who have difficulty moving around
- Assisting with personal tasks like bathing, toileting, dressing, eating
- Reminding clients to take their medications
- Sweeping or vacuuming floors, tidying rooms, and washing dishes
- Changing sheets and doing laundry
- Planning and preparing meals
- Shopping for groceries and picking up prescriptions
- Providing companionship and emotional support
- Escorting clients to appointments and social outings
- Helping clients carry out prescribed exercises
- Observing and reporting changes in clients' behaviour, attitude, or overall health to a supervisor or nurse
With comfortability being the main focus of a PSW’s job, it is important that they have all the tools they need to ensure that their patients are happy. Some PSW’s may experience those with incontinence or an overactive bladder, even more so in patients that are immobile or elderly.
If you have a patient with incontinence, attempting to change and clean them multiple times throughout the day can be draining to not only you but also the patient.
People always say work smarter not harder, and with ActiveKare products, you can do just that! Here are some products we offer that every PSW should have in their toolkit when caring for patients with urinary incontinence!
- Adult Diapers for Women
- ActivGo External Catheter
- Afex® Male Incontinence Mobility Assisted Starter Kits
- Afex Night-time Kit
- Afex Urinal System for Men
Our products are TAX FREE and COVERED by Private INSURANCE, many provincial disability reimbursement programs such as:
- VAC/VA - federal programs for veterans
- NIHB for first nations
If you are a PSW and need help deciding which products would be best for your patients, give us a call and we’d be happy to assist you!